July 5 - 17, 2019
Tour the sparsely populated taiga in Scandinavia’s arctic to see wolverines, brown bears, and wolves under the midnight sun. Spend three nights in photography/viewing blinds amid these mammal’s territories to observe and photograph them at close range. Explore Lake Saimaa in Linnansaari National Park searching for the endangered and endemic Saimaa ringed seal by boat. Meander through primeval forest and vast bogs of Patvinsuo National Park. Explore the birds and beautiful scenery of Valtavaara Nature Reserve, one of Europe’s best birding spots, where you have the chance to see capercaillie (the largest member of the grouse family), red-flanked bluetail, little and rustic buntings, hazel grouse, three-toed woodpecker, and gray-headed chickadee. Regardless if you’re a photographer or wildlife enthusiast, you will enjoy fabulous views of difficult-to-see mammals on this safari!
• Spend three nights in special photography/observation blinds to watch wolverines, wolves, bears, and possibly bear cubs, lynx, and white-tailed eagles.
• Discover taiga mammals and birds, like the endemic Saimaa ringed seal, forest reindeer, and Arctic birds.
We are working on details for this safari. Please contact us if you would like more information.
Itinerary Updated: October 2017
Our Trip Leaders
Leading trips throughout Europe is Jan’s pure passion. He started birding at a young age in Belgium, which blossomed into watching and sharing his vast knowledge about all European mammals. Jan was one of the first Belgians to see Europe's Big Five: lynx, wolverine, wolf, brown bear, and European bison (wisent). He has led trips throughout all of Europe, including Finland, Sweden, Norway, Poland, Spain, and more. Speaking wonderful English, he is always happy to answer your questions and help you take home outstanding photos.
Tour the sparsely populated taiga in Scandinavia’s arctic to see wolverines, brown bears, and wolves under the midnight sun.
View Our Gallery
Cost & Payments
Costs (in US$)
|Type||Cost Per Person|
|Trip cost, double occupancy||$5,390|
We reserve the right to charge for cost increases that occur between when we set tour prices and the date of travel, for example, changes due to the cost of lodging and transportation. If you are a single traveler and you desire, we will find a roommate for you. If we cannot find you a roommate, we may charge you a single supplement fee. Single rooms are subject to availability.
|Payment||Due Date||Amount Per Person|
|Deposit||Due now to reserve your space||$500|
|Second||October 15, 2018||$1,000|
|Final||January 15, 2019||Remaining Balance|
Payments will be due based on the schedule above. All reservations require a deposit to confirm reservation of your space. For reservations made after a due date, all past payments will be due with registration. By sending your initial deposit, you agree to accept our payment schedule and cancellation policy as a contract. If payments are still outstanding two weeks after the due date, your space may be forfeited.
Until the Final Payment due date, deposits are refundable except for a cancellation fee of $150 per person, which can be applied toward another tour if reserved within six months of the cancelled trip’s departure date. Cancellations are non-transferrable. No refunds are given after the Final Payment due date.
At this time of the year, the weather should be nice, sunny and warm. Of course, in the high Arctic, we can always expect some cloudy, rainy or cold weather as well like we encountered in the season of 2017. Layer of hi-tech clothing for varied weather conditions is advised.
There are no very specific physical requirements to join this trip. Walking is limited and the hikes are easy in general although there may be some small climbs up hills. We take our time when walking, rushing is never needed. This trip is accessible for everyone in normal physical condition and a healthy interest in nature. Experience is not required. We will spend many hours sitting in blinds waiting that can become exhausting, so patience and a good attitude is required.
Airfare is not included in trip costs. Detailed logistical information and the contact information for our recommended flight-ticketing agent are included in the Trip Materials we will send you. Please let us know if you are arriving earlier or staying later as we are happy to assist you with any extra overnights that you might want to arrange.
- Non-smoking policy: We have a strict non-smoking policy. Smoking is not permitted at any time or any place during our tours.
- Maximum time in nature: We try to spend as much time in nature as possible, sometimes resulting in long days but giving you a more in-depth experience.
- Itinerary route: The itinerary route, stops, and plans are subject to change by unforeseen circumstances beyond our control, such as weather or road conditions.
- Additional forms: For some of our tours, you may be asked to fill out additional forms (e.g., medical questionnaire).
- Medical conditions and travel risks: Travel to remote places is exciting, but it is important to understand and accept the risks, both medical and logistical. Minor medical problems can usually be treated, but because we are often far from medical facilities, there can be no expectation for immediate medical treatment or evacuation, even in cases of trauma. Anyone with health problems needing close medical supervision should not consider going on this tour. Bring enough medication for the duration of the trip for any chronic medical needs, since pharmacies are usually not available. When you send your deposit and signed Reservation/Release Form, you certify to us that you do not knowingly have any physical or other conditions that would create a risk for yourself or for other trip participants.
Sign Up Request
"Cheesemans' delivered what they said they would - provided maximum time in the field with qualified leaders and guides well experienced in finding, anticipating, and explaining wildlife behavior."
Anne Arrell, 2017
"We are always ready for another Cheesemans' trip."
Gary Irwin, 2016
"The guides and the Cheesemans' company staff are passionate about providing a trip of a lifetime!"